Due to security measures, Cloudbeds implemented a system which protects credit card data from being viewed by third-parties. That means that in order to view credit card details any user needs to have a special credit card viewing password and be granted permission to view guests' credit cards.
This article will show you how to access guests' credit card information and the process of designating who can access that data.
- Please understand the credit card details are stored by the payment gateway and they do not allow customers to view credit card details
FOR PROPERTIES USING Cloudbeds Payments - Please check the following article: Cloudbeds Payments - Why can't I view full credit card details?
- When switching payment gateways, any future charges for "in-house" or future reservations must be made on the previous gateway.
Example: if you have a reservation which was charged by PayU, even if you switch the connection to Stripe, all the charges related to previous reservation will be done from within the previous connected payment gateway / PayU) - and vice versa.
How long is credit card data stored?
For Cloudbeds Payments:
Cloudbeds Payments stores credit card information in the safest and securest measure, by credit card tokenization. Tokenized card information will be stored in our vault for 2 years. Credit card information (token) is stored in the guest's reservation for 30 days (for confirmed, cancelled and no-show reservations). Refunds can be processed seamlessly within 30 days period.
What is credit card tokenization?
Credit card tokenization is the process of completely removing sensitive data from a companys internal network by replacing it with a randomly generated, unique placeholder called a token. For instance, if a card number was 1234 5678 8765 4321, it would end up looking something like E67TY8GQ27X.
- For confirmed reservations: the system will remove credit card details 14 days after the check-out date.
- For cancelled/no-show reservations: the system will remove credit card details 30 days after the cancellation/no-show date.
- If you are using Stripe as a Payment Gateway, please note that, for security reasons, Stripe determined that credit card details are stored by Stripe and cannot be seen by myfrontdesk's users. For more information, please refer to this article.
Setting Credit Card Password and Viewing Credit Cards
- Property owner is granted permission to view credit card details by default. He only needs to set up a credit card viewing password on the 'User Profile' page.
- Property staff/users should be granted permission to view credit card details by a property owner and will set up the credit card viewing password with the link sent to their email.
- Association users should be granted permission to view credit card details by the property owner of each account in the association SEPARATELY and will set up a credit card viewing password for each account with the link sent to their email.
- Association owner should be granted permission to view credit card details by the property owner of each account in the association SEPARATELY and will set up a credit card viewing password for each account with the link sent to his email.
Cloudbeds Support team CAN'T grant permission to view credit card details and set credit card viewing password.
1. Property Owner's Instructions
Property Owner is granted permission to view credit card details by default. He only needs to set up credit card viewing password on 'User Profile' page.
- Click the User icon > My User Profile
- Click 'Reset credit card viewing password'
- Click Confirm and a reset password link will be sent to your email
- Click OK
- Check your email and follow the instructions in the "Credit Card Viewing Password Reset" email
The rest of the users, including association users and admins, should be granted permission to view credit card details by a property owner. See instructions below for how a property owner can grant credit card viewing permission.
- ONLY the property owner can specify who has the permission to access the credit cards. No other user of the Cloudbeds system can grant access (not even Cloudbeds support).
Association Users: The property owner of each separate account in a group has to grant the credit card viewing permission to each association user SEPARATELY (property owner of account A should login and grant permission to association user; then property owner of account B should login and grant permission to the same association user etc.).
If there are 5 properties in the association group, the association users would need to set up a different credit card password for all 5 properties.
1. Go to "Security" page
2. Select the users you want grant permission to view credit cards
3. Click 'Actions'
4. Click 'Grant Credit Card Viewing Access'
To grant permission to a specific user you can also switch a toggle in the 'Access' column so it becomes green and click SAVE.
5. You will see the warning and a list of users you granted permission to view credit card data. Click CONFIRM.
6. These users will receive an email with a link to set a credit card viewing password.
7. You can reset the credit card password in case it wasn't sent or if user can't find it by selecting a user > clicking 'Actions' > clicking 'Reset Credit Card Password Email.'
You can see who does or does not have a credit card viewing password set up under 'Credit Card Password Status' column.
2. Property Staff Instructions
How to Reset Credit Card Password
The credit card viewing password can be reset:
- By a user who was granted such a permission for himself (on 'My User Profile' page)
- By a property owner for himself (on 'My User Profile' page)
- By a property owner for any user who was granted a permission (on "Security" page)
Once you request the password reset, the link will be valid for 15 minutes. After this period, you must request it again
- Go to 'My User Profile' page
- Click 'Reset credit card viewing password'
Note: If you do not see the link to reset your credit card viewing password, it means your property owner has not set up your credit card password yet. Please contact your property owner as described in Step #1 above.
- Follow the instructions in the email to reset your credit card viewing password.
Your password must be strong and have the following security parameters:
- At least 8 alphanumeric characters
- At least 1 upper-case letter
- At least 1 number and special character
- Cannot be the same as the account password
- Cannot be the same as one of the 4 previously used passwords
A Property Owner can reset the credit card password for any user at any time (after the user who was granted permission to view CC details has set a password). This creates an additional layer of protection to guest data, as once a property owner resets a user's password the old one is no longer valid.
- You should be logged in as a Property Owner to reset a credit card password for other users.
- You can only reset a password for those users who have already set it.
- Go to 'Security' page
- Select users to force reset password, then click 'Actions' > 'Set/Reset Credit Card Password'
- You will see an alert > click Continue.
The user's password will become expired and he will need to set a new password to view credit card data
- User selected will receive an email instructing him/her to reset a credit card viewing password.
Any time the user clicks to reset the credit card password, in addition to receiving the email to set up a new credit card password, the existing password will be expired by the system.
Even if the user remembers the password after clicking the credit card password reset link, the user will no longer be able to view the credit card details as the password will now be expired.
For security purposes, each individual's credit card password will expire:
- Automatically after 90 days
- Each time property owner forces a password reset (see Resetting the password by property owner for any user )
To ensure smooth operation, we will send the following warnings to each user's email account prior to expiration as follows:
- 7 Days prior to expiration
- 1 day prior to expiration
- Upon expiration
Please make sure to reset your credit card password as soon as you receive our email to avoid any disruption in your daily activities.
All users that have the privilege to access credit card information will have the reset credit card viewing password option under the User icon. Please refer to section 1.1 of this article for further instructions.