With Cloudbeds Payments refunds back to your guest’s credit card can be submitted right from your Cloudbeds PMS - this article will walk you through submitting a refunds to your guests.
Refunds of transactions made via the terminal will also be processed directly through the Cloudbeds PMS.
Do you have questions about refunds? Please check the following article: Cloudbeds Payments - Refunds - Frequently Asked Questions
Some quick definitions of relevant terms to better understand the refund process:
Refund to credit card: When an original sale was made by credit card, you can refund the transaction to that same credit card. All credit card refunds are final and cannot be undone. Original processing fees are not reversed when a transaction is refunded.
Returned: In your Cloudbeds software, you will see the return amount in red font on the folio after a transaction has been returned.
Gateway Refund: In your Payment Processing Report, a refunded transaction will be displayed as Gateway Refund under the Payment Types.
- Void: With Cloudbeds Payments, we process and settle a transaction instantly — once a transaction is settled, it can no longer be voided (you can still void an authorization). If you make a mistake when processing a payment, you need to refund the transaction.
What kind of functions does Cloudbeds Payments feature allow?
|Refund Functions||YES / NO|
|Refund to a Different Credit Card||NO|
*Void option is available for authorization only. You can release an authorization by clicking the void button on the Credit Card Details page. See article: Cloudbeds Payments - How to Authorize Incidentals
- Navigate to the Reservation and access the Folio tab.
- Click the gear icon next to the transaction made through Cloudbeds Payments.
- Click Refund Transaction.
This process also applies for when the original payment was made through the Cloudbeds Payments terminal. This refund will also be processed directly through the Cloudbeds PMS.
- Enter the amount to be refunded (by default it will be the full amount of charge but this can be edited to any amount).
- Click Process Refund.
Another option to refund:
- Click Add/Refund Payment and select Refund Payment.
- Select the credit card which has been previously charged.
- Select the guest to refund the transaction.
- Select the desired folio.
- Select Refund Payment Gateway Transaction.
- If you select a credit card which was already charged, this option will be selected by default
Selecting Capture/Note existing refund DOES NOT process refund to the guest's card through the payment gateway and the refund will be added only as a record to the guest's folio.
- Select the transaction to refund (if there were several charges on one card).
- Enter the amount to be refunded.
- If you are processing a partial refund, enter the desired amount.
- Refunding a greater amount than charged is not possible.
- Post with current date and time: Indicates the refund is added with the current time.
A refund can only be processed with the current time. It's not possible to process a refund for past or future date. Even if the box is unchecked, you will not be able to change the date.
- Enter the notes if needed.
- Click Add refund.
Transactions not related to a reservation can be processed via the terminal on House Accounts. You can refund the payment by following the steps below.
This process also applies when the original payment was made through the Cloudbeds Payments terminal. This refund will also be processed directly through the Cloudbeds PMS.
- Go to House Account.
- Select the house account where the transaction was made.
- Use the filter to find the transaction you would like to refund.
- Locate the transaction and click the gear icon next to the column Credit.
- Select Refund.
- Double-check the credit card and Amount, then, click Process Refund.
- If you have Payment Allocation feature enabled, you may allocate the refund.
- The refund transaction will appear in blue with the amount in bracket.
You cannot use Cloudbeds Payments to refund a transaction process through another payment gateway. There are two solutions:
- Temporarily switch the payment processor to your previous provider and process the refund on Cloudbeds PMS. Once refunded, the payment processor can be change back to Cloudbeds Payments.
For security reasons, you must contact our support team to switch the payment processor.
- Process the refund directly from your previous merchant account and record the refund on Cloudbeds PMS. More details below.
You must log into your previous payment gateway and manually submit the refund.
The steps to submit the refund varies according to each gateway - Contact the payment gateway support team for help. Once done, record the refund on Cloudbeds PMS:
- Record the refund on the Cloudbeds PMS by clicking on Folio.
- Click on Add / Refund Payment.
- Select Refund Payment.
- Select the Payment Type: Select the relevant credit card.
- Refund Type: Select Capture / Note Existing Refund — it means that you've already refunded the transaction and you are only adding the refund on guest's folio as a record.
- Add the desired Refund Amount.
- Post with current date and time: Indicates the refund is recorded with the current date and time. Uncheck the box to enter the date in the past or future.
- Click Add Refund.