This article will walk you through how payment processing works and how to set it up.
Payment processing automates payment transactions between you and the guest. It allows you to process, verify, and accept or decline credit card transactions on behalf of the merchant through secure Internet connections. There are many existing payment processors (also known as payment gateways) that connect directly to your bank account and transfer funds directly into it.
In order to verify the legitimacy of your guests' credit cards and collect the payments immediately through Cloudbeds, you must be signed up with one of the payment processing companies we are currently integrated with. Click here for our full list.
To use payment processing, first navigate to your Payment Options page by clicking on the settings icon. Under the Credit Card tab, you should see a section to activate or deactivate payment processing.
If you do not see this section, please contact our support team at email@example.com to enable it
Click on the switcher under 'Connect Payment Gateway' section to activate payment processing and set the mode to LIVE
You will see a dropdown with a list of payment gateways underneath, along with authentication fields to the right of it. Select the payment gateway that you want to use.
The required authentication fields are different for each payment gateway. This information can be found within the account setting of your gateway and by contacting your payment gateway's support team.
For example, Stripe requires only Stripe Secret API Key:
while Maxipago requires Merchant ID, Merchant Key and Processor:
After you enter the required information and the account is verified, you will see a list of radio buttons to select the default option for direct reservations (mybooking reservations). If you are using myallocator to connect to either Booking.com, CTrip, Agoda or Expedia, you will likewise see an option to select a default option for those channels as well.
The following choices are available for each:
1. Do nothing. I will process payments at a later time
- Selecting this option captures the credit card information for you to access later. It does not do anything to the credit card besides capture the information and store it.
2. Authorize credit card for amount of deposit, but do not collect the payment
- When this is selected, Cloudbeds sends the transaction to your processor for authorization. If approved, the transaction is placed in your Unsettled Transactions with a status of Authorized/Pending Capture.
- The authorization places the funds on hold with the guest's bank. When the transaction is captured, the funds transfer process will occur.
- This can be useful in situations where the reservation is booked for a later date. You can authorize the transaction to ensure the funds are available, then capture the transaction to obtain the funds upon arrival.
3. Process the payment for amount of deposit
- With this transaction type, the process is completely automatic. The transaction is submitted to your processor for authorization and, if approved, is placed in your Unsettled Transactions with the status Captured Pending Settlement. The transaction will settle at your next batch.
Would you like this action to be performed immediately after receiving the reservation, or postpone it until closer to the arrival date?
- You may select whether to perform this action immediately or postpone it until closer to arrival date
Please note, virtual credit cards provided from third party channels may have specific processing requirements. Please confirm the channel’s virtual credit card policy before setting your payment processing method. [For example: Some virtual cards can only be charged on the day of check out and on the exact amount sent by the channel.]
When creating a reservation, you can select what you would like to do for each reservation. You will be given all three options when creating a reservation directly.
- Create Reservation (does nothing with credit card)
- Create and Process Payment (charges the credit card)
- Save and Authorize Card (authorizes the amount on credit card but does not charge it)