In 1995, Vrbo introduced a new way for people to travel together, pairing homeowners with people looking for places to stay. Vrbo's purpose: To give people the space they need to drop the distractions of everyday life and simply be together.
Vrbo has grown into a global community of homeowners and travelers, with unique properties in 190 countries. The channel offers homeowners and property managers exposure to over 750 million visits to Expedia Group sites each month.
Note: Vacation Rentals By Owner (VRBO) is part of the HomeAway family.
- Vacation Rentals By Owner/HomeAway is a calendar-based channel, which works differently than normal distribution channels. For example, only availability can be updated, no rates or any other stay restrictions will be sent or updated. You can learn more about this by reading our article here
- Calendar channels do not support receiving rates from a channel manager. You must enter rates directly into your VRBO/HomeAway extranet
- Even though VRBO is owned by Expedia, it is not possible to make the connection to this channel through Expedia. Follow the steps below to connect your VRBO account with myfrontdesk.
How to connect VRBO/HomeAway to myfrontdesk
If you do not have an account on VRBO/HomeAway:
- First, you need to create an account on VRBO/HomeAway.
- Once done, please proceed to Step 2.
If you do have an account on VRBO/HomeAway:
Go ahead and proceed with Step 2
On your VRBO/HomeAway dashboard, follow the steps below
Obtain your VRBO/HomeAway export calendar URL:
1. Click on the two arrows icon again
2. Click on Export Calendar
3. Copy the URL.
4. Uncheck the option "Include Tentative Reservations in the calendar export". This will stop all guest inquiry reservations coming through the iCal.
Calendar-based channels work differently than normal distribution channels, and this type of connection does not support cancellations. Also, all inquiry reservations are considered as "confirmed bookings" and not tentative.
When the guest books the room on VRBO/HomeAway, even if it's only a tentative, the system will send this reservation as confirmed to myfrontdesk - it means that this reservation will close your availability. Then, the property needs to cancel the existing reservation in myfrontdesk, so they will be able to clear it in the VRBO/HomeAway calendar allowing the guest to book.
If the guest decided not to make the reservation, the request would expire after 24 hours on VRBO/HomeAway side, but the reservation remains on myfrontdesk because the property needs to manage cancellations manually.
Leaving this option unchecked will prevent this situation.
5. Once you have copied the URL from your VRBO/HomeAway account, go ahead and paste the VRBO/HomeAway URL into the Exported calendar URL in myfrontdesk.
Repeat the steps above for ALL of your VRBO/HomeAway rooms you'd like to sync with myfrontdesk.
HomeAway has several brands such as Stayz.com.au, FeWo, Abritel, VacationRentals.com, Toprural, Bookabach, Alugue Temporada and others. Currently, within myallocator, we only accept HomeAway or VRBO URLs, but it does not mean that you can not connect the listings from other brands. Please follow the steps below in order to connect other HomeAway's brand.
Let's suppose that you want to connect your 'Alugue Temporada' listing and you have the following URL:
PROBLEM: When you paste 'Alugue Temporada' URL, you will probably see the error message below
SOLUTION: go ahead and replace the highlighted part from 'www.aluguetemporada.com.br' to 'www.homeaway.com' and keep the rest of the URL exactly the same.
Cancellations from a calendar channel cannot be transmitted to any 3rd parties (including myallocator, - Channel Manager by Cloudbeds).
Since myallocator is unaware of any Calendar Channel cancellations, you must manage the inventory manually.
- Guest books your property and the booking is sent to myallocator (channel manager)
- Guest cancels the booking
- Myallocator is unaware of the cancellation
- You must log in to myfrontdesk and cancel the booking manually (by changing the reservation status to "canceled")
Please check the Cancellation process here