The Payout/Commission Report is useful when you want to know how much commission you need to pay your third party channels and how much room revenue has come through per reservation source.
- This report calculates the commission from the price of the whole stay, you cannot calculate the commission for selected dates of stay.
- Room rate in this report equals room rate + taxes applied to room rate (it does not include taxes and room rate added manually and adjustments applied to room rate or tax).
- This report does not include Cancelled and No-Show bookings.
Property owner has access to Financial Reports by default. Other users must be granted permission inside Roles. Learn more: Roles and Permissions
- Click Menu.
- Click Reports.
- Select Financial Reports.
- Click Payout/Commission Report.
- Use the filters to get the data based on:
- Date Booked
- Check-in Date
- Check-out Date
- Room Types
- Reservation Source
- Click Apply.
It's not possible to filter out and calculate the commission for specific dates of stay, you can only filter out and calculate the commission for the whole booking(s) (all dates of stay). It also means you need to apply filters considering only the reservation check-in or check-out date, not the date of stay in between.
For example, if the reservation was made on 1 March and dates of stay are 25 March - 5 April, you may apply all or some of the following filters for the reservation to be displayed in the report:
a) Date booked = 1 March
b) Check-in = From 25 March until further
c) Check-out = From 5 April until further
Agoda (Hotel Collect)
As an example, let's check commission calculated for Agoda:
After expanding OTAs tab we can see the following information:
- You received reservations from Agoda with room cost equals $1000.
- At a 15% commission, the property owes a commission to the channel $150 (15% from 1000).
Hostelworld (Channel Collect)
- Your base rate is $300.
- Hostelworld takes 17% commission which is $51. When the reservation is made the channel sends back $249 as the Net rate (room rate) to Cloudbeds PMS.
- To calculate the commission taken by Hostelworld correctly (from the original room rate, not the Net rate received by Hostelworld), Cloudbeds does the following:
1. Get new commission percentage:
100 - 17 = 83
17 divided by 83 = 0.204819277 or 20.481928 %
2. Calculate the commission amount:
20.48% from $249 = $51 is the commission amount
Learn how to set commission rates for different reservation sources here: Reservation Sources - How to Set Commission Fees for Third-Party Sources
As mentioned above, our Commission Report calculates the commission set up in the Reservation Sources tab based on room total (room revenue + associated taxes). In some case, you may need to calculate the commission on top of the room revenue only.
Usually, a property owner needs to pay channel commission on a monthly basis. For example, Booking.com issues commission invoices at the beginning of each month for all reservations with departure dates from the previous month. More info can be found here. Commission will also be charged on non-refundable bookings, regardless of whether the guest stayed at the property or not.
- The suggested workaround works well for Confirmed and Checked-out reservations only. Since rate plans cannot be exported, those non-refundable or partially refundable no-show or cancelled reservations should be identified and added to the calculation manually.
- Unlike the Payout/Commission Report, this Accommodation Total includes manual room revenue and adjustments. Thus, this workaround is not ideal if there is any manual room revenue or adjustments added to the third party reservations.
You can generate the list of the needed reservations in the Reservations tab, export this list as an excel file, sum up the Accommodation Total and calculate the commission amount based on that.
Here are the steps:
- Go the Reservations tab and filter the list of reservations as needed.
- Select the Check-in or Check Out Date (e.g. if you'd like to know how much commission needs to be paid to Booking.com at the beginning of February, you need to get the list of all the reservations checking out in January).
- No-Show and Cancelled reservations should be excluded.
- Select the channel (OTA) in the reservation source filter (e.g. Booking.com).
- Click Apply.
- Click Export Reservations.
- Make sure that Accommodation Total is among the selected fields and click Export Reservations to download the Excel file.
- In the Excel or any other spreadsheet editor, find the Accommodation Total column, calculate its sum and calculate your commission based on that.