Shared inventory is the practice of selling the same physical room under multiple layouts. For more info, please read our Shared Inventory FAQ and Shared Inventory Overview articles.
These are the steps for conventional OTAs, for a guide on how to link with calendar channels, please read: Shared Inventory Guide 4: Selling All Units of An Accommodation Type On a Calendar Channel
How it works and things to keep in mind:
- Listing shared inventory on OTA channels is a great way to maximize revenue potential, however it does carry some risk to it since you are offering the same physical room multiple times.
- Myfrontdesk will automatically update availability for linked rooms as soon as we receive a reservation for one of the room configurations.
- If two linked rooms are booked at the same time or in the same reservation, we're unable to adjust availability since we have not received an update from a channel.
Steps for using Shared Inventory with Channel Distribution:
- Follow the steps laid out in one of the following guides from our Shared Inventory FAQ:
- Once these steps are completed, make sure that you have availability and rates set for your linked accommodation types.
- Create the additional linked accommodation types in your OTA
- Note: This should only be done after you set up shared inventory inside of myfrontdesk.
- If this is a new accommodation type, do not add any availability or rates in the channel extranet.
- Map the rooms as quickly as possible and run a full-refresh inside of myfrontdesk.
- Myfrontdesk will not be able to update the availability of any unmapped accommodation types.
- Your shared inventory is now listed on your distribution channel!