This tutorial will show you where and how to post a refund to guest's folio as a note for accounting purposes.
Note: The steps described below do not process any refund to the guest's credit card.
If you want to refund a transaction/payment made through a connected payment gateway, you will need to follow the steps in our article here.
Refunding payment or transaction not made through a payment gateway adds a refund amount to the guest Folio and adjusts the sum from Amount Paid in guest's balance.
Adding a refund the way described below won't process any real transactions to the guest's card, but will add a refund as a record in the system. It is useful for accounting purposes, to keep guests' balances and reports accurate.
Please note that it's not possible to delete refund record from the folio, so be careful adding it and always check an amount of refund entered.
In order to add refund as a record to the guest's folio, please do the following:
1. Navigate to the reservation and click on the Folio tab
2. Click 'Add/Refund Payment' button and select 'Refund Payment'
3. In new window select the 'Payment Type': it may be credit card, cash, bank transfer and all the custom payments added on Patment Options page.
4. Assign to: if the refund is made to group booking with several guests, you would need to select to which guest the refund will be applied to, which helps to track balances of the guests in reports.
5. Refund Type: if Payment Processing is not enabled, 'Capture/Note Existing Refund' will be selected by default.
6. Refund Amount: enter any refund amount
7. Date: enter the refund date (may be in future or past)
8. Add note (optional)
NOTE: We always suggest including a note with every payment refund for tracking purposes.
9. Click 'Add Refund' to add refund record to the system or 'Cancel' to deny the action.
The refund will now show up in the folio as a red number in parenthesis under 'Credit' section
I have no Payment Processing enabled in Myfrontdesk. How can I send refund to the guest's credit card?
You would need to use external payment system (POS, terminal, online-banking, gateway not connected to Myfrontdesk etc.) to process the refund to credit card and after the refund is processed you may add a record of refund made to guest's folio.
If you would like to use Myfrontdesk to process payments and refunds, check if we support gateway in your country and contact us at email@example.com, we'll be glad to assist you with further steps.
I have added refund by mistake. Can I delete it from Folio?
No, it's not possible to delete refund record.
If you have added refund by mistake, you may correct the guest's balance by adding the payment to the reservation.
How can I limit access for my staff to add refunds?
You may edit the permissions for your staff role:
just disable the permission called ' Add Refund' for the needed role. To learn more about permissions please refer to the article here.