The occupancy based rules can be set to be applied automatically by the application, or to require confirmation. They are triggered based on changes in the occupancy.
If set to automatic, upon the rule being triggered, the system will make the rate change. If set to manual confirmation, it will function more as an alert and inform the user that a rate change has been triggered, but needs to be confirmed by the property.
Any time the occupancy changes, this rule can be triggered.
- Reservation created
- Reservation modified
- Reservation cancelled
- Reservation deleted
- Accommodation type added
- Accommodation type removed
- Quantity of rooms modified
- Rooms are linked, unlinked, or changed via shared inventory
There can be two different types of occupancy calculations (and therefore occupancy rules) -- accommodation type occupancy, and overall property occupancy.
When creating an occupancy based rule, the property needs to select several preferred settings.
1. Go to Rules and Alerts section of your PIE
2. Create New Rule/Alert
3. Select Occupancy-Based Rule
4. Input a name for it
1. Scroll down to Schedule
2. Select Always active or Specific date range
3. If specific date range is chosen, select start and end dates
4. Another date range may be added, if needed
The rule may be chosen to be applied only on selected days of the week:
1. Navigate to Rule Details
2. Select preferred occupancy option
3. If Room Type Occupancy is selected, use multi-select option:
Note: if select room type based occupancy and multiple room types selected, the rule would apply for each room type individually (i.e. if Room Type A has occupancy of 50% and Room Type B has occupancy of 0%, the rule would trigger only for Room Type A, not both)
- Less than
- Less than or equal to
- Between (would require 2 input values)
- Greater than or equal to
- Greater than
2 input fields:
By checking this box, you can specify how far out this rule / alert should apply. If, for example, you are creating an occupancy based rule to trigger a rate increase when the occupancy is over 50%, you may want this rule to apply only for dates that are further than a week out, rather than increasing tomorrow's rate when only being at 50% occupancy. To do this, you can specify to only apply this rule from 7 days out.
- Allow system to make the rate change immediately when rule triggers
- Confirm each rate change manually
Confirm each rate change manually will be the default option
- Yes, update the rate by the same percentage/amount
- No, leave the rate as is after the rule triggered, even if the conditions have been unmet.
Depending on the selection of what should happen when the rule is unmet, the system should revert back to the previous rate, or leave as is after the rule has already been applied.
For example, there is the following rule in place: Increase rate by 10% when occupancy is between 50% and 100%. When a reservation comes in that increases the occupancy to 50%, this will trigger the rule. Regardless whether this rule is accepted or denied, whenever another reservation comes in and now increases my occupancy to 60%, this rule should not trigger again for that date.
If a rate is not set for a given day, the rule for that day should not apply.
If a room type is blocked but the rate exists, the rule should apply.