Now that we've prepared, it's time to begin adding the basics. While mybookings has a lot of customization options, this article covers the most necessary ones for your property.
Once these have been completed, you can then progress to step 2 and begin setting up your distribution channels. Let's get to it!
Answer a few short questions about your property
These include your currency, time zone, channel manager and PMS status, and how your rates are designed. Once finished, click on the green "Begin setup" button.
Property's interactive getting started guide
The interactive getting started section does a great job of guiding you through the majority of the setup process. All the pages feature a detailed tutorial and also have tool-tips you can hover over for a quick explanation.
We'll be highlighting the settings in the required sections that you'll need to complete to progress to the next stage.
Note: Remember to click the blue "save" button in the bottom-right corner every time you finish filling out a page.
The general profile section includes your basic property information and what customers will see on booking engine mybookings. We'll be going through each of the settings briefly:
- Make sure your property type is correct
- Write a description for your property, this will be displayed on your mybookings page, so make sure it's good!
- Upload some images for your property
- Property Contact Information - Keep in mind that this is the information that will be available on your booking engine, so you may not want to have your personal phone number, email address or full name listed as a contact and visible for your guests
1. Confirm that your Default Time Zone is correct - If it's incorrect, reach out to our support team at firstname.lastname@example.org
This is a very important setting - Mismatched time zone settings can cause bookings to be displayed with the wrong check-in time or even booking date
2. Confirm your Application Currency Format and also those used on your distribution channels
Note: Mismatched currencies can cause rate discrepancies
3. Select whether to allow additional bookings even when your property is at full occupancy. We recommend you leave this inactive by default. If you do enable it, be aware that you are at a significant risk of overbooking.
4. Select whether you activate the Auto No Show, if active, it means that all the reservations that are not checked in the system, will have the status changed to No Show automatically.
5. Select whether you activate the Auto-Assign, if active, it means that all the reservations will be automatically assigned to the available place in your calendar one by one. In case you need to re-assign the room, you can easily drag and drop this booking in the calendar.
6. Select whether you activate the Auto Check out extension, if active, it means that the reservations that have not been changed to checked out status will be automatically extended by the system.
Click on the blue save button in the lower right hand corner when finished.
Correctly creating accommodation types is one of the most vital settings for your property. This affects your mybookings account as well as the inventory and availability of your distribution channels (OTAs).
We strongly recommend creating distinct room types (ex "Standard Dorm" or "Women's Dorm") and not separate individual rooms (ex "Standard Dorm Room 1").
Creating separate individual rooms instead of room types will make your inventory incompatible with the majority of distribution channels. For more information about why creating room types is strongly recommended, please read our Distribution Channel Mapping Guidelines.
To add a new room type:
- To add a new room type, click on the green "New Accommodation Type" button
- Name the new accommodation type
- Remember that guests will see the names you input. We recommend using normal titles like "Standard Double Room"
- Select whether the room is a dorm or a private room
- If it's a dorm, you'll add the number of rooms, room occupancy (number of beds), and then whether it is gender-specific
- Add a description of the room for your guests
- Add the accommodation amenities
- Upload Images of the rooms
Click to Save
- Use the section 'Accommodation Naming and Organization' to rename individual rooms or beds inside of an accommodation type
- To delete a room, click on the "x" icon. Once this is done, it cannot be reversed, so only do this if you are certain
Once your accommodation types have been created, it's time to add your rates. This section allows you to quickly control what prices are displayed for each room type based on the date.
You may include the base rates for any period, including specific days of the week and minimum or maximum length of stay limitations. These are the standard rates for your rooms and the rates that are sent to your distribution channels.
Per-person rates are used for customizing your mybookings engine and it will not be sent to your distribution channels.
To allow the greatest level of flexibility, myfrontdesk sends out a standardized Best Available Rate across all your channels. This helps ensure a consistent sync with your multiple OTAs.
You may use Availability Matrix or Base Rates section in order to setup the prices.
Please check this article to learn How to Add Base Rates.
Do your rates include any taxes or fees? If you are planning to connect to any channels, you'll want to make sure your taxes and fees are consistent across myfrontdesk and all of the channels.
For details on how to setup them, take a look at our article on how to create taxes and fees
In case you have already created your taxes/fees in the system, please make sure to configure them to the direct and/or third party sources in order to get them applied automatically once the reservation comes into the system.
The detailed instructions are provided in this article: Reservation source specific taxes and fees .
Great! Now that you've setup the core of your property, it's time to move on to Step 2: Distribution!